Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Lip liners - The 90s are back!

Maybe its because I was a kid in the 90s and by the time I started wearing makeup, the thought of lip liner just seemed aging. Boy, was I wrong!

I love that trends seem to circle every 20 years or so, I think I would fit right into the 70s, bell bottoms and all! I think the same things happen with makeup trends, the 90s grunge and lip liners seem to be the big return these days.


At first, I wasn't sure how to start using lip liners in a way that lasted and worked for me. I definitely had to practice finding the best way to use them for my lips. With the help of a lip liner, I can make them look slightly plumper when I want.

My three best friends and I had a conversation a few weeks back about what lip liners are best. I don't think anyone needs to spend a lot of money on lip liners, most of the time you end up covering them up with another lip color anyway. My suggestion to my friends was finding a lip liner close to your natural lip color and you can use it with any lip color you want.

Now me being the way that I am, my biggest makeup obsession is lip products! Every time something new comes out I want to be the first one to try it! So I have spent some time collecting a few different brands and shades of lip liners. My favorite brands for lip liners are all drugstore because I don't want to spend more than $5 on one.

Jordana Easyliner for Lips 

 
Top to Bottom: Rock N' Rose, Tawny, Pink Love, Cabernet
Jordana Easyliner for Lips Retractable Lip liners are the first ones I grab for at the drugstore, you can find them at Walgreen's and Kmart for less than $3. They last a long time on the lips, the consistency is creamy and doesn't tug when applying it.


  • Rock N' Rose - A nice dusty rose color, its a very natural color. Definitely, a great color for the trendy nude lip.
  • Tawny - Slightly more pink than Rock N' Rose, it is a great natural lip color match. I would suggest this as one the best to use with any lip color.
  • Pink Love - True pink color, great for pink lip colors or corals.
  • Cabernet - Perfect vampy color for wine and dark plum colors. Great to use in the fall and winter months. I grabbed this specifically for a dark lipstick color I have.







NYX Slim Lip Pencils


Top to Bottom: Natural, Nude Pink, Pinky


NYX Slim Lip Pencils are another one of my favorites, there are so many color choices, you can find anyone you might need. And at only $3.50, you can stock up without breaking the bank. These are creamy and smooth and layer wonderfully with lipstick and glosses.




  • Natural SPL 810 - is a new purchase for me but it works great with more brown nudes. Another one that could be used with any color.
  • Nude Pink SPL 858 - is just that, a perfect nude pink color. Its a great natural lip color and can be used with nudes, pinks, or vampy colors.
  • Pinky SPL 835 - is the perfect hot pink lip liner to go with a bright hot pink lipstick, which are some of my favorites!







Milani Color Statement Lip Liner
Color Statement Lip Liner in Spice & Anti-feathering Lipliner in Transparent

Now, I only have one Milani Color Statement lip liner but these are my very favorite formula! It feels exactly like lipstick in the form of a pencil. One of the best lip liners to wear alone. They don't make your lips feel dry at all. I also have the Anti-feathering lip liner, it primes and fills lines on your lips. I use the lip primer when I'm wearing a deep color lipstick, sometimes I put it on to use just with gloss to keep it from sliding all over my face. These are a little higher in price, depending on where you find them they can be between $4-$5, but they are well worth it.



  • Spice - Perfect brownish- red color, the name describes it perfectly. It can be used to mute some colors or add extra dimension to nude colors.
  • Lip primer - Keeps lips from feathering and preps lips for any color!





I have a few randoms that I bought for specific colors in my collection.

Top: Covergirl Lip Perfection in Passions.
Bottom: Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Ravish

  • Covergirl Lip Perfection - Passion - This is another one that is super creamy and smooth. Feels just like lipstick in a pencil. This color a reddish pink, great for bright pink and red lipsticks. This is my most expensive lip liner around $7, its nice but I probably won't go for this first.
  • Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner - Ravish - This is a dryer formula but still doesn't tug at the lips when applying. Its a nice brick red color. 





This is my whole lip liner collection, I try to take it easy on the lip liners and remind myself what I tell my friends: "You really only need one great natural color you love to wear with everything." If I had to chose one to use forever it would probably be Jordana Rock N' Rose or NYX Nude Pink.

I know, I know, that's 2 but I just can't choose one! Hopefully this helps you choose just one or a few to try!

And the adventure continues.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment